Thursday, April 9, 2009

Make Art Not War

Whenever we'd be driving on H-1 (westbound), I'd see a bunch of these posters plastered along the wall of a skate ramp in Makiki. The colors, the graphic, and the words always seemed to grab me and whenever we passed this spot, I'd always smile.

About half a year ago, while we were driving past that same spot, I was saddened to see that the posters had either been taken down or painted over. All that stared out at the freeway was a plain beige concrete wall.

BUT...a few months ago, I noticed a couple of these posters had been put back up. Just a few, nothing like how it used to be, but it was nice to see something familiar in that spot again.Upon doing a bit of Googling, I discovered that the artist who created this was Shepard Fairey. Don't know who Shepard Fairey is? You might not recognize the name but I'm sure you'll recognize this:

Yeah, that guy.

A few other pieces that I like:


All artwork from http://www.obeygiant.com/, a site featuring Shepard Fairey's amazing and cool work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...